iPage is popular web hosting provider with affordable shared hosting plans to start your classifieds website. Similar to Bluehost they offer free SSL certificate, free domain registration and allow to host multiple websites depending on package you bought. We assume that you have purchased hosting and domain from iPage web hosting. In this tutorial you will learn how to install classifieds script on iPage shared servers.
Install classifieds script
Classibase is PHP+MySQL classifieds script. Make sure your web host supports PHP programming language and MySQL database. Follow these steps to install classifieds script on iPage hosting:
- Download classibase classifieds script ZIP file from your member area on classibase.com. Extract files to some folder on your computer.
- Log in to your account on iPage. If you are installing for main domain then you can move to step 5.
- If you have multiple domains on same iPage hosting then each domain should point to separate directory. Click on “Domain Central” to define directory for your secondary domain.
- Then click on domain name that you want to install classifieds script. Click on “Points to” button to change domain from “Home directory” to “Subdirectory” and type name same as our domain name for knowing when you see directory name.
- Open FTP client ( we use WinSCP on windows, you can use any FTP client ) and log in to your server. Log in details can be found in your iPage control panel.
- Navigate to Subdirectory that you created in step 4 and upload Classibase files that you extracted from ZIP file on step 1.
- In iPage control panel from top navigation navigate to “Website” -> “MySQL database” to view database details. Create separate database if it is not created already. In our case it was already created with same name as domain name. Get MySQL server name, database name, username and password from this page (see image below).
- Navigate to domain with your web browser by opening chrome web browser and typing your domain in address bar. You will see Classibase installation screen. Enter database details that you get on step 7. Also enter admin email and password. Then click submit button.
If everything installs correctly, you will be prompted with successful installation message. You can check if ads with image works correctly by adding some test listings.
Steps described in this tutorial about installing classifieds script on iPage can be applied to any web hosting account with some minor differences.
Configure your classifieds website
Now you can manage your classifieds website from admin panel. You can find several tutorials on this website about setting up your classifieds website. Configure your new classifieds website by adding locations, categories, custom fields, locales, change theme if necessary, update site name and description details. If your classifieds website targeted for other country then add language to your website and translate website from English to your language. You can also have multilingual website if your target country uses 2-3 languages.
Promote your classifieds website
After installation and basic configuration of classifieds script you can add couple ads from local newspaper or other website to each category to trigger organic posting process. Then introduce and advertise your new website in related sites, forums, blogs and social networks. We found that periodically posting on social media accounts including mobile messengers can increase your website traffic. Learn how we increased featured classifieds ad sales and subscribers on Line instant messenger account. Your website will grow faster when users start getting calls from their ads posted on your classifieds website.