questions

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Scott Smith 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Scott

I have a few questions, and also requirements I need to see if ClassiBase can either already do or be readily customized to do.

1. What is the maximum number of ads and user accounts recommended? I need to have a sense of scalability, assuming a modern mid-range web host from a reputable provider.

2. I will have only one location, so I need to be able to disable the location selection AND prevent users from creating locations. I have no problem if they put locations in their listings, but I don’t want the site to allow location selection nor to search by location.

3. Related, how easy is it to disable the map feature, except in the detail view of a listing? In the listing is the only place I want to see a map.

4. Can ads be imported from Oodle? I have the ability to dynamically query Oodle, so the real question is, how easy is it to hook into the CB code? I understand you don’t do plugins, but perhaps you have predefined hooks? Oodle would only be used to provide additional listings in the event of few local results.

5. Does CB allow “subscriptions”? By this I mean, if an auto dealer wants to run ads, rather than pay per listing they would like to pay a fee per month for some fixed number of concurrent ads. That way, as a vehicle is sold they can replace it with another listing without a change in fee. Alternatively, can paid listings be exported? If so, then I could invoice them monthly in aggregate.

6. Can a user (who would have to be logged in, of course) tag/favorite listings? And then display favorites?

7. Is there a database backup or dump feature?

8. Can users flag listings as inappropriate? Can they then follow up on listings they have flagged (ie, to see if they were dealt with by the admin?)

9. Are there provisions for hooking in AdSense and other ad servers?

10. Can non-classified listing items be interspersed with search results? By this I mean, make every Nth “listing” be pulled from another source, such as an ad server, or a faux search result, etc.

11. Are Facebook, Twitter, Google and Yahoo logins supported?

12. Any payment gateways other than PayPal?

13. Is reCaptcha used? If so, is it V2?

14. What provisions are made for purchasers of CB in the event ClassiBase ceases operations or terminates support of the product?

Those are the major points. Looking forward to your prompt reply.

Thanks!

#3098 Reply

ClassiBase
    Keymaster

I have a few questions, and also requirements I need to see if ClassiBase can either already do or be readily customized to do.

1. What is the maximum number of ads and user accounts recommended? I need to have a sense of scalability, assuming a modern mid-range web host from a reputable provider.
    Answer: There is no limit to number of ads or users. We tested with 100k ads and there were no noticeable slowness on local server. Also one of our live sites has 10k ads making 1 million page views per month with no noticeable slowness. It is on dedicated intel i3 server with 8 GB ram, previously it was on server with atom processor and 2GB ram without any issue. (On current there are 10 websites some of them have 100 k records with 1 million traffic). We use simple non-blocking queries in our script to load pages faster. Also simple caching for some queries used to reduce number of database requests.
    So our suggestion for 100k ads with 100 k users you can have dedicated server or virtual server with 1 GB RAM. You can get some info regarding servers here http://classibase.com/speed-and-resource-comparison-wordpress-vs-classibase/

2. I will have only one location, so I need to be able to disable the location selection AND prevent users from creating locations. I have no problem if they put locations in their listings, but I don’t want the site to allow location selection nor to search by location.
    Answer: Sure if you delete all locations then no location select box when posting or viewsing ads will be shown. Same applied to categories. IF you delete all categories and locations then all ads will be posted and viewed without category and location. You can read related post about website without categories here: http://classibase.com/how-to-setup-classifieds-website-without-categories/

3. Related, how easy is it to disable the map feature, except in the detail view of a listing? In the listing is the only place I want to see a map.
    Answer: Mas is visible only on ad page. Even there you can disable map by navigating to ”Settings” -> “Ads” from admin panel and remove tick from checkbox “Display map for ads”
    Map uses address custom field. It reads text written in that address field and locates it using google map api.

4. Can ads be imported from Oodle? I have the ability to dynamically query Oodle, so the real question is, how easy is it to hook into the CB code? I understand you don’t do plugins, but perhaps you have predefined hooks? Oodle would only be used to provide additional listings in the event of few local results.
    Answer: If you can create a page that generates XML file that is formatted to be imported then script can import those ads. Detailed instructions can be found here: http://classibase.com/how-to-import-ads-from-other-classifieds-website/

5. Does CB allow “subscriptions”? By this I mean, if an auto dealer wants to run ads, rather than pay per listing they would like to pay a fee per month for some fixed number of concurrent ads. That way, as a vehicle is sold they can replace it with another listing without a change in fee. Alternatively, can paid listings be exported? If so, then I could invoice them monthly in aggregate.
    Answer: Unfortunately there is no subscription for dealers. Also no wallet to prepay some amount and then pay from your account. Only payment option is pay per post and pay to make featured.

6. Can a user (who would have to be logged in, of course) tag/favorite listings? And then display favorites?
    Answer: No. But we think it is nice feature to have. For 2 reasons listings can be ranked by number of likes and users will have quick access to listing they are interested in.

7. Is there a database backup or dump feature?
    Answer: No.

8. Can users flag listings as inappropriate? Can they then follow up on listings they have flagged (ie, to see if they were dealt with by the admin?)
    Answer: Users or any non registered visitor can flag ad and display reason for flagging. But they cannot follow up on it and can’t wee if it listing is deleted or updated. Admin can see those reports and delete report or delete ad.

9. Are there provisions for hooking in AdSense and other ad servers?
    Answer: Adsense and other ads can be displayed using text widget. Text widget can have plain text, javascript or PHP code in it. Ad location is limited to widget location. Also you can define on which page widget will be visible. For example you can choose to display adsense ad after ad and before related ads. Related ads is also a widget.

10. Can non-classified listing items be interspersed with search results? By this I mean, make every Nth “listing” be pulled from another source, such as an ad server, or a faux search result, etc.
    Answer: No. (Thank you for tip it is nice feature to have)

11. Are Facebook, Twitter, Google and Yahoo logins supported?

12. Any payment gateways other than PayPal?

13. Is reCaptcha used? If so, is it V2?
    Answer: Recaptcha used but not version 2. We are working on it as most customers as for it.

14. What provisions are made for purchasers of CB in the event ClassiBase ceases operations or terminates support of the product?
    Answer: We have not thought about it because we use script ourselves as a product and not planning to cease operations. In case we close classibase then we will probably continue to support our customers for one more year in case there are major PHP or mysql update that breaks our script.

Those are the major points. Looking forward to your prompt reply.

Thanks!

Thank you for interest in classibase.
    Regards.

#3101 Reply

Scott Smith

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my several questions. Some further thoughts.

4. I can certainly fetch the Oodle ads and place them in XML. Is there a way to schedule the import, perhaps via a cron task? That is, is there an import utility that can be executed outside the web interface?

5. These would be excellent monetization features to add.

6. A nice, but not essential, feature. Personally, I believe browser bookmarks were invented for such things, but I know many less technically savvy folks who expect to find a “Favorites” menu in the web app instead.

10. This would be a very good addition for assisting with monetization.

11. Please consider adding this. People grow weary of having yet another login for yet another site.

13. Tied with #11 for first place on my wish list, followed closely by #5.

14. It would be a good policy to formalize. I also intend to use the script as the basis for a business. In the unfortunate event you should cease operations (the future is a vast unknown where anything can happen) it would be nice to understand how it would affect MY business. Ideally, it would grant a limited perpetual license to the source (limited in that it could not be resold, etc, but used to continue operating an existing venture.)

Looks good so far, however. Some missing features I will have to work around, but I’ve gone ahead and purchase the one-year license. I assume, if it works out well for me, there is an upgrade path to the lifetime license, correct?

Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: questions
Your information:

This entry was posted on by .