Issues with category and search widgets

ClassiBase classifieds script Forums General help Issues with category and search widgets

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Melchior 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Melchior
    Participant

Hi,

I’m running script version 1.7.1 and theme Odnocvet 1.6. I encounter interesting issues with widgets in my production environment:

The first one happens when I put a category widget on Content left with ‘Related to active category’ ticked in ‘Dynamic’ mode: it doesn’t show up on any ‘Ad page’ although the checkbox ‘hide on Ad page’ is not ticked on the widget setup. The only way to get the widget to show up on Ad pages is to un-tick the ‘Related to active category’ checkbox.

The second bug happens in the same case as above (Category widget in Content left, Dynamic, Related to active category not ticked) when I add a search widget in Content right (Advance, Related to Category ticked and Display Image checkbox ticked). In this setup, the search functionality doesn’t work as it doesn’t allow to filter on Category Custom Fields properly, coming back only to the category selected.

I experience the first bug in all environments and the second bug only in production and not in XAMPP development or on my pre-production Synology server.

Any clue as to what might be the root causes for these issues?

Regards,

Melchior.

#1747 Reply

ClassiBase
    Keymaster

Related to active category will show subcategories of current category, ads are posted on last subcategory so they will not have any subcategory. That is why on ad page categories will not be shown because nothing to show, as no subcategory on ad page. Categories related to active category are explained here http://classibase.com/how-to-display-subcategories-on-category-page/

Custom search related to active category will search within active category. So if you visit cars category your search will be shown in cars category and all its subcategories. Otherwise if related to active is not selected then your search will be in all categories. We suggest keeping search to related category, it will be faster and more relevant.

As per custom fields they will be shown in search only if you are in correct location and category page where your custom fields defined. For example if you look at our demo site on cars category you will see custom fields related to cars http://classibase.com/demo/united-kingdom/cars/
    on “Flats & houses for sale” category you will see property related custom fields. On home page you will see only search field and main category select box because no custom field defined or set to display in search for home page.

Custom fields are explained here http://classibase.com/how-to-add-custom-field-to-classifieds-website/
    If you custom field to appear in search form then select “S” button inside custom field after it is in “Submit form” area.

#1760 Reply

Melchior
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks again, this all makes a lot of sense. The main challenge I face is linked to the behavior of search functionality between 2 environments.

I believe the following images explain better what the challenge is:

In pre-production (Synology server): search engine on custom fields is working

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38192941/Preproduction.jpg

In production (OVH hosting): search engine on cutom fields is not working

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38192941/Production.jpg

Hope this will help to clarify the issue I’m facing.

Thanks again for your support.

Regards,

Melchior.

#1776 Reply

ClassiBase
    Keymaster

We had similar issue in our test server while we were working on updates. We fixed problem in version 1.7.1 and 1.7.2 . Can you please update your script to latest version first.

Problem on our site was related to keyword toyota, we had user with same permalink so results search was broken. In your case it may be keyword “console”.

Can you check if other search fields work, for example make search by only selecting “with photo” option in search form. Check if that works correctly, also check if search only with “Condition” and search only with “System” works.

Also can you check if url after search button clicked has “/?s=….” style formatting or “/s_…” style formatting. After version 1.7 script should use only “/s_..” in url for searches.

#1788 Reply

Melchior
    Participant

Hi,

This is helping: indeed when I click the option ‘with photo’, the search engine starts working again and the URL shows “/s_…”, although the custom field search still fails: the engine searches only at category level.

I also noticed that in case I don’t select ‘with photo’, the search URL shows “/s_…” briefly before it turns blank and the search completely fails.

Is there a way to fix all this? I’m running script version 1.7.2.

Regards,

Melchior.

#1808 Reply

ClassiBase
    Keymaster

Thank you for reporting and helping to solve this issue.

We released bugfix version 1.7.3, can be updated via script or downloaded manually.

Bug: PHP was considering some 3 digit values as from-to field value instead of drop down value and changing urls from 3 digit to 1 digit which was loading wrong page and preventing search.

#1813 Reply

Melchior
    Participant

Hi,

You are welcome. I upgraded the script to version 1.7.3 and indeed, the bug is gone.

Thanks a lot for the amazing support.

Regards,

Melchior.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Issues with category and search widgets
Your information: